8.8.08

Extended Run in LA and Palm Springs!


Here is a new review of the film in the LA Independent
"
A Jihad For Love” is at once a heartbreaking and hopeful documentary written and directed by Parvez Sharma about the plight of homosexuals (men and women) within the Islamic faith."


I have been on my endless travels talking to audiences around the world and learning new things about my work through their eyes. This is satisfying in many deep ways and also has an element of the surreal about it.

Anyway I have just returned from a very successful week in LA and Palm Springs and I have understood deeply that the intellectual vacuum we assume exists down there in Southern California may be a myth after all!

I was also surrounded by the love of Mickey and Tom, Firoozeh, Reza and Amanda, Richard and Sussan, Larry and all of my lovely desi friends- Rashmi, Sanjay, Ayesha and Khadija, Juhi, Naveed and Mushtaq who even organized a delicious dinner ; )

I have had remarkable conversations with the inhabitants of la la land and have learnt profoundly how much the legacy of that fateful day in February 1979 when the Marja-al-taqlid with those penetrating eyes (Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini) returned to Tehran- creates fissures in Tehrangeles for the Iranians in exile. More on that will be posted on my blog soon at www.ajihadforlove.blogspot.com, which I do as always encourage all of you to visit. Some of the new and amazing press on the film with comments that pour in every day is also posted there.

On another note:
We have been extended for another week in both LA and Palm Springs. My main mission has always been to prove to the US Box Office that this very Muslim film, made with a very Muslim lens can succeed at the US Box Office. Jaded as I feel sometimes, I still get the greatest satisfaction when I hear an 'American' audience member stand at the Box Office and ask for 'a ticket for Jihad please!'

So humbly and hopefully I do request all of you to send everyone you know to this second week and especially this weekend (if we do great box office numbers this weekend- we could even have a third week!)

Here are the showtimes in LA
Fri 7:30 pm
Sat - Sun 3:30, 7:30 pm
Mon - Thurs 7:30 pm
Regent Showcase Theater
614 N. La Brea Ave. Los Angeles, CA. 90036 323-934-1770
Website: http://www.regenttheaters.com/nowplayingSHOWCASE.html

And for Palm Springs:
Fri - Thu: (12:30), 3:00, 5:30, (8:00)
Camelot Theatres
2300 E Baristo Road
Palm Springs, CA 92262
760.325.6565
Dolby Digital
website: http://www.camelottheatres.com/index.html

No comments:

Breaking News from Mohandessin in Cairo

I have another friend Yousry. (Different from the other amazing Yousry I just interviewed for a Mondoweiss exclusive) I have blogged about h...