22.9.09

Lost in (translation) in Bishkek!

Yes, I am in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan!
Will update when I can find the internet-
For now-
Sweet Sixties bar in Bishkek- My bar buddies-An Uzbek couple, a Mongolian filmmaker, a Serb, a Russian and a Croatian Czech-scintillating conversation veers from Putin's sexiness to Balkan politics to Brezhnev to Shashtri's statue in Tashkent to Obama's unpopularity in the CIS-this is the life ;-) Coming up tomorrow-Horse meat for lunch! On TV now-Church TV!!! (The only English language channels are Church TV and "Fox Crime")-and yes Russian MTV, Russian News or Putin News, and Tajik TV, and Turkmen TV and Kyrgyz TV.
Got to love it.
My ethnic Russian-Kyrgyz translator informed me how much locals (especially the older ones) long for a return to Soviet times. I can see why.

4 comments:

Anjelika Medvedeva(Kyrgyzstan) said...

welcome to Kyrgyzstan, Parvez Sharma! I'm glad that we have such an opportunity to watch "Jihad for love" here in Kyrgyzstan, and waiting for tomorrow.And as for me, I dont think that a lot of locals(older locals) long for a return to soviet times.

Anonymous said...

Parvez Sharma,
I am from the United States. I just watched "A Jihad for Love" yesterday and I was floored by it. It is perhaps one of the most informative movies I have ever seen.I am so happy to see a movie about the gay Muslim community because it is a subject that is never talked about, especially in the US. I want to say thank you for putting yourself out in the open and for finding others that are willing to do the same. I am an avid supporter, and I know that people like you will continue bringing our world closer together. The gaps that separate us as humans will be bridged because of efforts like yours!

Mysticbluelady said...

I have just seen your documentary "A Jihad for love" and my heart went out to those Muslims being cruxified for being gay. I am an american christian straight woman who has a belief in islam as well as the bible for the stories of teaching are pretty much the same. I know a few gay people including having one in my family and know gays are born gay and since God doesnt make mistakes he has his reasons for making those who are gay. My heart goes out to those in untolerant countries and I will help them in any way I can for them to live a life of freedom, love and happiness. God Bless you all!

Mysticbluelady said...

P.S. I was in Turkey and if I had known those 4 boys were there I would have brought them home with me to the United States where in some states gays can legally get married. Please let me know how I can help.
Thank you and God Bless!

Breaking News from Mohandessin in Cairo

I have another friend Yousry. (Different from the other amazing Yousry I just interviewed for a Mondoweiss exclusive) I have blogged about h...