6.9.08

SELL OUT IN DC!

With a hurricane approaching this town (which one hopes the Republicans will soon leave) the film sold out last night...
SOLD OUT, YES! IN DC...
A South-Asian man said to me: "We have been so excited-this is the first non-white gay film we have felt strongly about in a long time!"
This is not a surprising comment to me at all, given the Caucasian-ness that is so pervasive all around us and in this year, when all of Americas dirty racial laundry will be up for everyone to see...
Regardless-it was a moving night with a 40 minute Q&A- Joining us on stage were two people who are very special to me-both straight Muslims- Asra Nomani, author of 'Standing Alone in Mecca' and a fellow fearless love jihadi; ) and Zahir Janmohamed from Amnesty International.

Shirine was so inspired that she wrote a poem and here it is!
A poem inspired by Jihad for Love...

Why Choose Hate?

By Shirine Hossaini

I sit and watch their pain
displayed before my eyes
what do people gain
from suffering and lies?
I cannot hold my tears
my feelings are too strong
though I've tried for years
they always say 'you're wrong'
Why should people struggle
when all they want is love
life is such a juggle
it's noone's right to shove
for every stone you throw
a count is being kept
when you die you'll know
how many mothers wept
every tear they shed
for every lonely night
will haunt you though you're dead
so why not make it right?
use your faith to guide
and open up your mind
nothing left to hide
you'll leave this world behind
learn to live
before it's too late
learn to give
and I'll reciprocate!



No comments:

Breaking News from Mohandessin in Cairo

I have another friend Yousry. (Different from the other amazing Yousry I just interviewed for a Mondoweiss exclusive) I have blogged about h...