1.8.09

STILL ALIVE AS MY FILM DOESN'T ATTACK ISLAM

That, my friends, is the screaming headline on the front page of the Bombay newspaper Midday today. I must clarify that there are several misquotes, which is a fact of life I should be getting used to, having spoken to media all around the world. For example, I did not say "Fatwa-fine" but I said "fatwa-free." I did not speak about family at all. The quote, "Leaving it means leaving your food, music," is a simplification of a more complex quote in which I said leaving Islam is like leaving your family, your community, your culture and even seemingly small things like what you eat, the kind of music you listen to, how you view the world, etc. And there are several more. However, I must also give credit to the journalist who did spend a considerable amount of time with me on the phone, though she did not manage to get all of my quotes just right.
Here it is; the abusive comments are already on there. Decide for yourselves.

MIDDAY article and interview on the Indian broadcast

Here are just two of the recent comments:

You r an Ignorant and Abnormal person
Dear Parvez
NO harsh words but an advice: DONT MESS WITH THE NATURE OR NATURE WILL MESS WITH YOU
Have u ever seen a lion mating a donkey? a snake mating a rat????? then why on Earth are you bent on making this obscene act as worthy and ok to carry on???? Go and make the movie but why are u using a religion in between???? May Allah Guide you and Show you the Right Path and give you strength and wisdom to accept and follow the Right Path. amen.

and then this, a more positive one.

WELL DONE
I THINK BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH US IS THAT WE ALL ARE HYPOCRATS.WE DON'T WANT TO FACE THE REAL WORLD.WHATEVER PARVEZ IS SHOWING IT EXIST IN THE SOCIETY AND WE SHOULD APPRECIATE HIS EFFORTS.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am a muslim like u and i am not a perfect believer but didn't God Forbade us homosexuality? And isn't one of the signs of the end of days that Sodome and Gomore would be back, i.e. homosexuality will make its comeback on earth? Then how can u claim that a gay person can be a good muslim at the same time? and did u read the hadith saying that whoever practices homosexuality is bound to go to hell without being judged?
i don't mean to hurt anyone but as a muslim, it's my duty to advice my fellows when they commit mistakes. MAY ALLAH GUIDES US TO T§HE STRAIGHT PATH!!!

Byron D. said...

Actually, your duty is to spend a lot less time condemning others for being who they are -- there is no choice of one's sexuality, my dear -- and focus on being a loving person. If you think homosexuality is so powerful as to precipitate End Times, it must be terrifying to know there are left-handed people in great positions of power these days. Even some redheads!

Breaking News from Mohandessin in Cairo

I have another friend Yousry. (Different from the other amazing Yousry I just interviewed for a Mondoweiss exclusive) I have blogged about h...