15.11.07

From the Mother City

Ryan Jones from last night's screening at the V and A Waterfront, here in Capetown writes:

Dear Mr. Sharma
How are you doing? I trust all is well.
I attended the screening of "A Jihad for Love" at the V&A Waterfront last night. The reason for the mail is just to congratulate you on a film that I must confess touched me very deeply. From opening scene to closing credits my eyes, mind and heart were firmly fixated on the film. The topic was portrayed with much sensitivity and the peoples fervent love for their religion and God was almost tangible.
I myself am not Muslim, but I could also identify with the peoples struggle to come to terms with homosexuality and their love for God. I was also captivated by how the people not only coped with their internal struggle but also external struggles in how they are persecuted. It struck home when one of the cast spoke about how he could not fathom being free when so many are not.
I realised how caught up I became as seeing God as unapproachable and punishing. I have forgotten that God loves and is merciful and it is by His will that I am here and still alive. Just like some of the cast I have asked God to cure me from being gay. Sometimes in my mind I think that if God did not like me he would not have seen it fit for me to be here. But here I am an He has been with me from the start.
I hope that your work continues to touch and bring hope to the lives of many people and will open up a lot of avenues for discourse. Your work is truly a blessing.
Regards
Ryan Jones

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr Sharma
I truly commend you for the beautiful film you have made.I am fortunate to live in Cape Town which does protect the rights of our gay and lesbian citizens.I know many gay muslim men and it is quite sad to see how they are treated by misguided members of their muslim brother and sisters.At the end of day, we are children of God and from what i know, Islam is a religion of peace and love so the hatred directed at the gay community is alarming. We are not here to judge anybody irrespective of creed, race or sexual orientation.

Breaking News from Mohandessin in Cairo

I have another friend Yousry. (Different from the other amazing Yousry I just interviewed for a Mondoweiss exclusive) I have blogged about h...