26.7.08

LA and Chicagoland

So I am here in Chicago and have just found this excellent feature on the film in todays LA Times by the newspapers religion reporter, Duke Helfand
Please read and comment ; )

Filmmaker uncovers the struggle of gay Muslims in 'A Jihad for Love'

The film opened last night here in Chicago at the Gene Siskel Film Center. Right across the street Bill Maher was doing his routine at the 'Chicago'-a popular event and some tough competion, no doubt.
But almost a 100 people came on the first day with the second screening fostering one of the most compelling Q and A sessions I have had. The audience was remarkable and engaged and included Muslims. I was deeply touched when an older Tanzanian (probably Muslim) married heterosexual couple (probably my parents age) came up to me and said ' This film is also really about family'.

Powerful words, and definitely true.
Meanwhile a minor controversy has also broken out here with my Muslim and straight friends here trying to do outreach at the Downtown Islamic Center. Yesterday the Imam at the mosque said he would not be willing to associate the mosque with the film. This was when my friend who is also on the board of the mosque requested him to make an announcement. Flyers of the film, however were distributed just outside the mosque after Friday Jummah prayers.
I am continuing to work towards the goal of engaging with many Muslims in the Chicago area.
This is Obamaland afterall! And that means, Change is in the Air, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"This is Obamaland afterall! And that means, Change is in the Air, right?"

LOL! Chicago politics .. gotta love it.

The movie was incredible and so much more than I expected and I'm going to see it again. Anyone that doesn't see this movie is doing themselves a great disservice.

May Allah reward you for all your efforts.

Who I Am... said...

I wish i knew about this film earlier, and would have loved to see it! because its something really important to me and my friends!

Breaking News from Mohandessin in Cairo

I have another friend Yousry. (Different from the other amazing Yousry I just interviewed for a Mondoweiss exclusive) I have blogged about h...