21.7.08

Toronto Again!

After almost a year, Jihad is in theatrical release here in Canada and audiences at the Royal theater in Torontos hip College area are loving it. More updates and comments to follow. The film plays through Thursday at the very least.
Read this in the Globe and Mail, Canadas newspaper of record- Coming out as a warrior in the struggle for love
And this feature in NOW magazine (the Village Voice in Toronto)
Gay, Muslim and Unafraid

And finally this special feature on ABC News with many interesting comments from the Middle East (will post some here) "Breaking Silence on Being Gay and Muslim"

This email from Anas:
Dear Mr. Parvez Sharma,
I reside in Chicago and hope to see this film at its debut tomorrow/weekend. I have seen the trailer and several interviews on youtube. I am excited and thrilled to see this film. As a Muslim-American my personal Jihad with my sexuality has been in the forefront of my mind since I came out 15 years ago. It never goes away and the loneliness I feel at times balancing my spirituality and my life as gay man seems overwhelming, but I knew there are other Muslims dealing with the same issues. I THANK YOU and may Allah bless your efforts!
I hope to add more after I see your film.

1 comment:

Jamilah Malika said...

i went to see the film last night at royal theatre - it was brilliant. thank you for taking such time and care to make a film exploring ideas that have not been explored on film before. the people who share their stories are truly beautiful - they share their faith, their struggle, their love - they give so much to the film. i wondered if all the two young men in turkey were able to arrive in canada safely?

thank you for opening the debate, for introducing ijtihad, and ending on hope... Inshallah.

all the best to you!

http://livityandlove.blogspot.com/2008/07/jihad-for-love-by-parvez-sharma.html

Breaking News from Mohandessin in Cairo

I have another friend Yousry. (Different from the other amazing Yousry I just interviewed for a Mondoweiss exclusive) I have blogged about h...