25.5.08

The Numbers are Rising

We have had so many hugely successful shows in NYC today where people have been remarkably engaged with the film and the remarkable panel discussions that followed.

Here is another email that just came in:

Dear Parvez,
Salam Alikum, it's so good to see that finally someone has the courage to speak up and talk about this controversial subject.So far I have only seen the previews of your movie on the youtube.com website and can hardly wait for this movie to open up here in Los Angeles.
I am originally from Pakistan and now I live in United States. I always wanted to make movies especially documentaries about the topics that other people might not interested or are afraid to talked about and just to see you do that gives immense pleasure.
Please continue with this topic and don't let anyone stop you. Allah has given you this opportunity to speak on behalf of others who do not have the courage or just simply don't know how to tackle this controversial subject.
I am gay and I live with my partner. We've been together for almost 11 years now. I used to tell my boy friend that I always wanted to make or act in a movie which deals with the subject of homosexuality in Muslim countries. After reading about your movie I feel like half of my dream came true. Best Luck & God Bless you.
Sincerely,
Yasir

Also these from a gay and Muslim man from Sudan:
Email 1
really looking forward to seeing the movie this week, i grew up muslim and gay in the sudan
m.

Email 2
hey parvez-
i came with friends to the 930 show on friday, we enjoyed the movie and it sparked a lot of discussion amongst us, i have to say i discarded islam completely out of my life once i moved to the west so it was good to see people who made different choices
congrats, you should be proud for tackling this!
m.

Also this from an Iranian man:
Hello Parviz.
I am very interested in the movie that you have made. Although not a believer of Islam and not a believer that Islam (real Islam according to the Koran and the Sunna) can be a non-violent democratic religion and can provide people with the most basic human rights, I would very much like to see your film. Do you happen to know where in NYC I can obtain/watch this film?
Best regards,
D

This is another email:
Parvez! I really, REALLY loved a Jihad for Love! My partner and I are trying to spread the vibe--I'm biracial African-American, and she's Iranian-Danish, so it hit home on many levels...I also know your friend Ashwini Sukthankar, who says hello!".


No comments:

Breaking News from Mohandessin in Cairo

I have another friend Yousry. (Different from the other amazing Yousry I just interviewed for a Mondoweiss exclusive) I have blogged about h...